The past few weeks have been a roller coaster ride for Vhong Navarro who has been detained at the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) following the issuance of arrest warrants which led him to surrender to authorities. But the comedian has remained steadfast with his wife by his side through it all. Just recently, he decided to not enter a plea for the rape charges against him filed by Deniece Cornejo.
Vhong made a virtual appearance before the Regional Trial Court Branch 69 on Tuesday, October 11. The It’s Showtime host’s legal counsel Atty. Alma Mallonga, on the other hand, physically attended the event. Deniece and her counsel Atty. Howard Calleja attended in person.
According to ABS-CBN News, the TV host and comedian decided not to enter a plea following the advice of his legal counsel, citing they filed a pending petition for review at the country’s highest court, the Supreme Court. Meanwhile, the court entered a "not guilty" plea for Vhong.
Navarro was not required by the court to attend physically, but was ordered to participate via video conference. Cornejo requested to attend the arraignment, also via video conference, but the court did not grant her request. pic.twitter.com/eVaFInrlzs— Niko Baua (@Nikobaua) October 11, 2022
Vhong’s wife Tanya Bautista previously said that she stands by her husband whom she said had confessed everything to her.
“Vhong was very consistent since Day 1. He confessed everything to me. So hindi ko alam kung ano ang nakikita nilang probable cause,” Tanya said in an interview back in September 2022.
Meanwhile, the comedian-TV host maintained his innocence, telling ABS-CBN News in a past interview that he is telling the truth.
“Ever since na nagsimula 'to, nagsabi ako ng katotohanan. Hindi ako nagsinungaling. Consistent ako dun sa mga affidavit namin,” he said.