Following her historic win for the Philippines at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, various businessmen, brands, and organizations expressed their admiration and gratitude for Hidilyn Diaz by pledging monetary and material incentives for the athlete.
Here are among the incentives that Hidilyn will be receiving after her Olympic gold medal win:
• Php10 million courtesy of RA 10699 or National Athletes and Coaches Benefits and Incentives Act
• Php10 million courtesy of MVP Sports Foundation
• Php10 million courtesy of Ramon Ang
• Php5 million courtesy of Dennis Uy
• Php3 million courtesy of Rep. Mikee Romero
• Php2.5 million courtesy of the Zamboanga City LGU
• A condominium worth Php14 million courtesy of Megaworld
• A house and lot worth Php4 million courtesy of Century Properties
• 80,000 free miles per year for life courtesy of Philippine Airlines
• Lifetime free flights from AirAsia
These are just part of the growing pool of incentives that Hidilyn will be receiving when she returns to the Philippines from the Olympics.
Hidilyn is the first Filipino to bag a gold medal at the Olympics after winning the women's 55kg weightlifting competition. Although Filipina bowler Arianne Cerdeña won an Olympic gold medal in 1988, her sport was an exhibition event back then and was not counted in the official medal tally.
"Hindi ako makapaniwala. Nasorpresa ako na nagawa ko 'yun. Kakaiba si God. Sa lahat ng prayer warriors ko diyan sa Pilipinas, thank you so much. At sa team HD at sa lahat ng sumuporta sa akin, thank you so much for believing in me," Hidilyn said in an interview with Gretchen Ho in Tokyo.
On her message for the Filipinos after her historic win, she said, "Huwag kayong sumuko kahit anong challenges at trial 'yan. Manalangin tayo kay God [na] mag-ga-guide siya sa atin. Proud to be Pinoy!"