Filipino families celebrate and give thanks to their moms for Mother’s Day and this year is no different especially for Dimples Romana and her family. For Mother’s day this year, she admits they won’t let the enhanced community quarantine situation affect their yearly celebration for her. “Usually my family would cook for me, set up a nice table with all my favorites on it we would dance to music and sing along,” she told PUSH. Dimples ted that she and her kids Callie and Alonzo can usually be found in the kitchen area “dahil sa hilig namin kumain at magluto,” she said.
When she finds time to do self-care, Dimples said she tries to find peace of mind and take care of her mental health. “May days when I wake up extremely sad and worried and I counter that by having ‘me time’. The least I want to do is affect my children with my worries and fears. What I do is I meditate, pray and dance like no one is watching,” she revealed.
With schools still closed until late August, Dimples shared that it has been another challenge to keep her kids active and creative. “The struggle is real. We’ve been thinking of ways to make their time not only enjoyable, memorable but also productive. Kaya I turn to my mom friends for help for suggestions often,” she said.
Here are Dimples’s tips to keep your kids happy and busy while during home quarantine:
- Find out what makes your kids happy. You can ask them about their interests and they will usually be more than excited to share with you exciting activities they’d like to do with you. Be open and let them communicate themselves. Get to know them better
- Feed them good, healthy food. Make eating right a habit for you and the kids. This is the best time to introduce and start healthy habits with them. Have a rainbow colored plate to make sure they’ll develop a strong immune system and a well-balanced diet.
- Teach them how to help out inside the home. Pick chores that are age appropriate that will make them learn the value of cleanliness, organization, and care for the home and others.
- Go for old school fun by doing art and crafts at home. Teach them how to recycle and upcycle to introduce how they can help save Mother Earth and love and care for the environment.
- Have fun creating videos together. Whether it’s a full-blown vlog or a short Tiktok video, nothing is more relaxing than just doing something silly together like Dimples and her bunso Alonzo who also loves to dance like his mom.
- Pray together. Nothing bonds the family tighter than prayer. Teach your kids the value of prayer and by teaching them to lead before a meal or the start and end of each day