After being introduced as one of the newest local fighters to join the roster of the Universal Reality Combat Championships (URCC), Kiko Matos admitted he is feeling more confident to get into the ring after last year when he and opponent Baron Geisler staged a fight for a documentary. “This is the story, me and Baron were invited to the URCC. I was just a regular guy you know. Partying and drinking. Then come the URCC, I went straight to training. And then after that I fell in love with the sport especially jiujitsu. I discovered something that was in me. So aside from this, I want to do more. And now I can say that I’m a totally different fighter compared to last year. And if we were to do it over again I wouldn’t be doing the same thing. Right now I’ve come prepared. I have some tricks up in my sleeve and I’m ready to use it. I’m very excited,” he shared.
During the URCC presscon last June 19, Baron showed up to challenge Kiko, using some very strong words which the 28-year-old indie actor just laughed off. “I miss this (laughs). Baron, just like last year. kahit kailan, kahit saan, any time, anywhere and I’ll be there. You bark louder than you bite!” he said.
Apart from hurling insults at him, Baron also told the local press that he and Kiko are no longer friends because of their issues which Kiko accepts as all part of their longstanding feud. “Hindi naman kami magkaiba eh. So kung hindi niya ako kaibigan eh di hindi ko siya kaibigan (laughs). Ganun lang yun. Actually mas natawa ako kasi nandun siya sa dulo eh and then he comes in, lumalapit na sa akin. So alam ko na ibig sabihin nito. Dahil naghahanap nga ako ng kalaban, dumating siya. Isa lang ibig sabihin nito. Magkakaron ng rematch ang Baron Geisler and Kiko Matos. This one is for sportsmanship, for settling the draw, and for finally seeing who will win this time,” he explained.
Kiko said he understands what Baron was trying to do and is also looking forward to proving he can be declared the winner this time. “Well I won’t call it a grudge eh. I think it’s more a game. But first and foremost, wala ding declared na panalo sa aming dalawa and being his friend for a while hindi niya rin maamin na ako yung nanalo at hindi ko rin aaminin na siya yung nanalo. I would think na ako pa rin yung lamang sa laban namin. Well we all know what we were up to last year. But as of now maybe he just wants to play another game. It’s a big boys game. This is a big boys game. For sportsmanship also. He comes out, calls me names, and let’s get it on you know? It’s my reaction towards his actions. So let’s make this fight happen. Ito na yung pag-uumpisa ng rematch namin. The very long anticipated rematch. I think I’m on a different level compared to
Baron. Even after our fight last year I’ve starting to train and up until now,” he explained.
Currently training under the wing of URCC president and founder Alvin Aguilar, Kiko said he is confident his next fight with Baron will be more exciting to watch. “Sa ngayon, mas prepared kaming dalawa eh. Kasi last year, very short notice under one month. Right now we have around a month and a half to prepare for a fight so mas matindi siguro yung magiging laban ngayon kasi mas trained kami, mas hasa sa mga techniques kumpara sa mga nakaraang taon,” he said.
The next URCC event is scheduled on August 12 at the Araneta Coliseum in Cubao.