Maxine Medina and other beauty queens are happy that Miss Universe 2017 is happening in the Philippines.
Binibining Pilipinas Universe 2016 Maxine Medina is actually happy that Steve Harvey is returning as the Miss Universe pageant host next year.
“I think it will be fun,” she said when asked by Push.com.ph during a mini press conference organized by the Binibining Pilipinas on Wednesday after expressing her joy that the pageant is happening in the country for the third time next year.
“Kasi you know, baka mamaya ako pa rin ang matawag as the winner,” she continued.
Maxine believes that the fact that he is going to host would be a good thing for the Philippines.
“Well Steve Harvey is trending now and once again, since [Miss Universe] will be held here in the Philippines, our country will be featured once again. It’s going to be interesting,” she explained.
Despite his hosting mishap during last year’s pageant, Tourism Undersecretary Kat de Castro shared last week that the American comedian will be hosting next year’s pageant.
"He wants to apologize to the Filipinos who were hurt because of what happened," she shared in an interview with DZMM.
According to her, President Rodrigo Duterte was also surprised by the news.
"Noong sinabi nga namin kay Presidente, 'Mr. President, ang host ho natin ay si Steve Harvey, nagulat din siya," she said.
"Sabi niya, 'Bakit?' Dagdag pa nga niya, 'He is a disaster.' Ginanun ako ni Presidente. Eh sabi ko, 'Sir, mukhang iyon na po talaga ang naging desisyon ng mga taga-Miss Universe.' Tapos tumawa na lang din siya," she recounted.
Reports had it that Steve’s return as a host was due to the fact that he has signed a contract with Miss Universe Organization. The said contract stipulates that he could host the prestigious pageant for three to seven years.