Dubbed as the “King of Talk Show,” host Boy Abunda signed an exclusive two-year contract with ABS-CBN last Friday, April 1.
According to Boy who has been with the TV network for about 18 to 19 years already, part of his contract includes new shows aside from his ongoing talk shows Tonight with Boy Abunda, The Bottomline, and Inside the Cinema. “I’m doing a number of episodes, investigative show, excited ho ako dito. And then, bahagi rin dito ay isang online show that I will be anchoring so bago. Exciting dahil hindi ko alam kung anong mangyayari,” he said.
Moreover, the talk show host shared his excitement towards doing something new. “I’m always excited about things na hindi natin masyadong kontrolado dahil for many years, we’ve been doing the talk show genre. Pero ito ‘yung tipong I think we’ll be merging the concepts that we’ve been doing at saka ‘yung online component. Hindi natin alam pa kung saan ang connections, kung saan magtatagpo but that’s what we’re trying to do.”
When asked if he will do a project like the former showbiz talk show The Buzz which ended April of last year, Boy said, “Namimiss ko pero excited din ako because we’re moving towards an exciting time.”
“Pero ang nakakatuwa, I go to places and people would say, ‘Kelan babalik ang Buzz?’ Kasi ang dami talagang tao ang lumaki sa henerasyon ng Buzz hangga’t nagbago nga ‘yung pamamaraan ng ating pakikipag-usap, ng ating pagbabalita,” he added.
In line with this, Boy talked about the need to stay relevant amidst the evolving times. “Hindi lamang ‘yun pag-ayon sa panahon pero pagdiskubre din kung paano na tayo magbabalitaan dahil imagine when we were doing The Buzz 18 years ago, if you were 40, you would be pushing 60 so may bago. If you were 20, you would be close to 40. Of course may social media, may dyaryo, may telebisiyon so kailangan fresh ‘yung pananaw mo kung paano kayo magiging relevant sa isa’t-isa and how you can be happy together,” he said.
Meanwhile, Boy said that he is open to working with Sharon Cuneta. Last year, the two were rumored to be working on a project to replace The Buzz.
“I am so excited. I’ve so much respect for the Megastar and she’s one of the most intelligent girls in the business. I’m open. I’m really open,” he said.
Assuring his audience that they will keep on discussing issues, Boy expressed his gratitude towards everyone, especially to the mothers. He said, “Maraming salamat po sa aking mga bosses dito sa ABS-CBN sa kanilang tiwala. Maraming salamat sa sambayanang Pilipino sa walang sawang pagsuporta niyo po sa aming iba’t ibang palabas. Lalo na po sa mga nanay na alam ko pong solid na solid ho sila sa atin, sa akin personal kasi sa tinagal tagal ko po dito sa negosyong ito, sabi ko nga even if you don’t remember what I said, even if you don’t remember what I did as a talk show host, for as long as you know when people come to me and say, ‘I have come to a point in my life when I appreciate more my mother and I’m making my nanay proud because you keep on reminding us,’ para sa akin, okay na.”